Be an Entrepreneurial Leader
The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation by Technical University of Munich and UnternehmerTUM, Germany's leading Center for Innovation & Business Creation, is committed to being an outstanding entrepreneurship program for professionals.
Master of Business Administration
Munich, Germany and Berkeley, US
Taught 100% in English
65 course days over 4 semesters
39.000 € Tuition Fee
Get the newsletter & visit our events!
To register for an event, please click here.
Integrate Theory and Practice
Prof. Hana Milanov
For a complete overview of the program structure, please click here.
Receive a unique educational experience
Get an Excellent Management Education
- A sound foundation in state-of-the-art management skills
- Interactive case studies and action-based learning
- Deep insights into the art of new venture creation
- Input from experienced entrepreneurs, corporate innovators and professors
Receive Hands-on Startup Coaching
- Direct application of learnings in individual and team projects
- Implementation of the Business Design Approach
- Support from personal project advisors
- Prototyping in the high-tech workshop MakerSpace
Join a world-class Innovation Ecosystem
- TUM is a world-class university with a focus on entrepreneurship
- UnternehmerTUM is Germany's leading Center for Innovation & Business Creation
- Access to TUM's and UnternehmerTUM's startup network, services and corporate partners
- An active alumni club that provides lifelong support
Become part of a vibrant community
Our students come from a wide range of industries, academic backgrounds, countries and cultures. Their unique experiences will help you develop a deeper understanding of the (business) world – during the program and beyond.
Gain a global perspective
- The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation brings together a unique group of professionals from all kinds of eductional backgrounds.
- With an average of eight years of work experience, our students hold many different positions in a wide range of industries.
- So far, the program has brought people from 50 different nations together.
Join a close-knit community
- Get in contact with founders, innovation managers and entrepreneurs.
- Launch joint projects and benefit from mutual support in questions and challenges of your post-graduate career.
- Establish a network with students and professors and profit for many years.
- Make use of the TUM Alumni Network and get access to the latest scientific knowledge.
The theoretical and practical input, the network, and the empowering experience of the Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation have enabled our students and alumni to found more than 50 startups.
NEWS & EVENTS
We organize events on a regular basis, to start a conversation with you and introduce you to the program, its students and the entrepreneurial ecosystem that the program is part of.
Shaping successful entrepreneurs: The story of Georg Bader
Webinar – November 5, 2018 at 12:30 pm
Mr Beam Lasers closes seven-digit financing round
EMBA Day – October 13, 2018 at 2:00 pm
3-in-1 EMBA-Day – September 24, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Legal-tech startup rfrnz honored as “Landmark in the Land of Ideas”
“Startup fever” – Süddeutsche Zeitung features the Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation
Deep-dive into the innovation ecosystem
36 students, 15 nations, 1 learning community – the IBC “Class of 2020”
Talk by Prof. R.A. Farrokhnia (Columbia Business School): Blockchain’s disruptive potential
Tech startups are disrupting the logistics industry
From past to future – grand EMBA gathering in October
Time to celebrate: Triple Crown Accreditation!
Meet our Alumni: Sven Rens, CFO of Mr Beam Lasers
Take the next steps
The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation has a rolling admissions process, meaning that you can apply throughout the year.
Be the right candidate
The formal requirements ensure that applicants have a certain level of professional and academic expertise and the english language skills to meet communication and learning demands.
Even more importantly, we seek motivated candidates who want to make a change and work hard to pursue innovative and entrepreneurial opportunities.
Collect all documents:
- Completed and signed application form
- Signed curriculum vitae
- Documents proving at least three years of work experience (e.g. certificates of employment or contracts)
- Certified copy degree certificate and transcript of records of your first university degree (if the original is not in English or German, please attach a certified copy of the original and a certified copy of the translation)
- Letter of motivation
- Essay (2000 words in total)
- Copy of official ID card or passport
- Under age 30: Proof of health insurance (please click here for more information)
If you obtained your bachelor’s degree (or diploma) in a country outside the EU/EEA (except Switzerland):
Please fill out the application for a preliminary documentation via http://go.tum.de/074400.
In addition, you need to apply via the uni-assist web portal via https://www.uni-assist.de/online/?lang=en.
For more information on the preliminary documentation and uni-assist, please visit http://go.tum.de/156836. Please note that the completion of the preliminary documentation via uni-assist may take up to six weeks.
If you obtained your degree within the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you do NOT need to file for preliminary documentation.
Once you have finished this step please keep your documents ready, but wait to send them until you have completed Step 2.
Register on TUMonline:
- Please register on TUMonline. Contact us for further assistance and detailed instructions
- You may but do not have to upload your printed documents to the platform.
- After you have registered and created your account, you will receive a confirmation document for your application.
- Please print and sign this document
Now, please send the documents from Step 1 and the signed TUMonline registration to the following address:
Technical University Munich TUM School of Management Executive Education Center Arcisstr. 21 80333 Munich, Germany
Pass the Interview:
- After having submitted all your documents, the Admission Committee will examine your application.
- If your documents are complete and fulfill the admission criteria, you will receive an invitation to a personal interview.
- The interview will take 20 to 30 minutes and will be attended by one professor from the EMBA program and one or two member/s of the EMBA program management team.
- The goal of the interview is to prove your suitability to the program and to get to know each other in person.
- The interview can be held online or at the TUM premises in Munich.
Usually, you will be informed within two weeks after the end of the interview phase if you have successfully passed the application procedure and are allowed to join the upcoming class of the Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation.
Catharina van Delden
Dr. Sultan Shair
Join a powerful network
The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation is part of Munich's leading entrepreneurship ecosystem. With the Entrepreneurship Center, the Technical University of Munich and UnternehmerTUM, the Center for Innovation and Business Creation, have built a joint platform to enable high-tech innovation and breakthrough entrepreneurship.
Experience the innovation hub
The Center for Innovation and Business Creation at TUM offers founders and startups a complete service from the initial idea to IPO.
- UnternehmerTUM is one of the leading university-based startup ecosystems in Europe.
- The center develops and connects talents, technologies, customers and capital.
- Students, academics, and professionals get inspired to take entrepreneurial action.
- UnternehmerTUM is at the core of an extensive startup and industry network.
- Unternehmertum Venture Capital Partners provides Venture Capital for Industrial Technologies & Smart Enterprises.
- Invests in early-stage technology companies in the areas of Industry 4.0, Manufacturing Technologies, B2B Software, Mobility and Smart City.
- The high-tech workshop MakerSpace provides a unique infrastructure for implementing ideas and innovations in the form of prototypes and small-scale production.
- MakerSpace is open to the public, gives startups, engineers, architects, designers, and makers access to machinery, tools, and software, as well as to a creative community.
- UnternehmerTUM Projekt GmbH is home to the accelerator program TechFounders.
- UnternehmerTUM Projekt GmbH offers consulting services, e.g in the areas of innovation strategy, business modeling, incubation, excubation and customer discovery.
- Digital Product School offers the unique opportunity to develop state-of-the-art digital products.
- Interdisciplinary teams tackle real world problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Participants range from employees of cooperation partners like BMW, Daimler and Audi to university students and recent graduates.
STARTUP AND CORPORATE NETWORK
Work with the very best
- UnternehmerTUM works closely with some of the most innovative corporations from Germany and abroad.
- UnternehmerTUM has strong ties with the entrepreneurial community and the portfolio of successful startups that it has brought to life.
- Together with major research institutions and foundations, UnternehmerTUM supports entrepreneurial thought and action.
Study at a university of excellence
Technical University of Munich (TUM) is one of Europe's top universities. The culture of entrepreneurship has a long and successfull tradition at TUM.
- Technical University of Munich (TUM) is an entrepreneurial university, inspiring and empowering its students, scientists, researchers and alumni.
- TUM systematically develops and supports startups and fosters an “entrepreneurial spirit”.
- TUM is one of the country’s universities of excellence by the German government in 2006.
- At TUM, high-calibre research is performed in thirteen different faculties.
- The spectrum of subjects is unique in Europe.
- TUM School of Management is one of the leading management schools in Germany.
- The faculty researches and teaches on the highest possible level of quality and at the interface of business administration with engineering and natural sciences.
- The interdisciplinary research platform develops new technologies, products and business models.
- Executive Education is a focus area in teaching and research.
- TUM School of Management is part of the “one percent” of business schools worldwide that hold the Triple Crown Accreditation status (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA).
- TUM Entrepreneurship Research Institute is one of the leading institutes dedicated to entrepreneurship research in Europe.
- Four professors and more than 20 academics at the post-doc and doctoral levels do research and teach.
- ERI derives insights into all aspects of the entrepreneurial process relying on different theoretical perspectives.
- TUM’s Executive Education Center combines the faculty’s major further education activities.
- The EEC provides first-class executive education – training for professionals already working in their chosen fields.
- The EEC offers three Executive MBA programs as well as a variety of certificate programs and and Customized Programs for organizations
Learn from the very best
An international top-class board of lecturers will help you strengthen your entrepreneurial skills and increase your understanding of business and innovation.
By networking with experts from the academic, corporate and entrepreneurial worlds, you will gain a sound foundation in innovation and business creation.
With professors from TUM and TUM School of Management as well as from other top-ranked universities, such as UC Berkeley in California, you will receive a first-class education from some of the best universities in the world.
Chair of Management Accounting
Chair of Technology-based Services and Operations Management
Chair for Strategy and Organization
Professor of Strategic Entrepreneurship
University of California, Berkeley
University of Augsburg
Chair of Financial Management and Capital Markets
Chair of Information Systems
Chair for Corporate Management
Dr. Theo Schöller Chair in Technology and Innovation Management
Chair of Strategic and International Management
Landshut University of Applied Sciences
Chair of Research and Science Management
Chair of Sport and Health Management
Chair of Corporate Sustainability Brewery and Food Industry
Chair of Entrepreneurial Finance
University of Exeter Business School
University of California, Berkeley
Professor for Entrepreneurship
Professor of Entrepreneurial Behavior
Academic Director of the Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation
Chair of Corporate and Intellectual Property Law
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
University of Marburg
Find answers to your questions
Classes start once a year in April/May. The next intake will start in April/May of 2019.
No. We focus on practical experience gathered in teamwork. Our students benefit from face-to-face communication and excellent support at the Entrepreneurship Center.
From our experience the workload can be challenging, but it is doable for a full-time employee. Since course days are devoted to subject-specific input and insights from researchers and practitioners, we ask you to reserve free time for the reading of articles and case studies as well as for the preparation of presentations.
Students show their learning success in individual and team assignments. This includes writing academic papers and giving presentations in front of the class. There are no sit-in exams.
The number of students per intake is not predetermined as admission takes place on a rolling basis. On average, we admit 35 students each year.
The tuition fee of € 39,000 plus a student union fee of approx. € 130 per semester includes academic instruction at TUM and UC Berkeley, project work with professional advisory, course and learning materials as well as catering during breaks.
The tuition is paid in four installments, which results in € 9,750 per semester plus the student union fees.
As of April 2018, TUM Graduate School in partnership with UnternehmerTUM will award one partial scholarship, which covers half of the tuition fee. It can only be awarded to PhD students of TUM Graduate School. Other than that we currently do not offer scholarships or financial support for our students. We advise our candidates to search online for scholarships or to win their employers’ support for the program.
No. We have many international students and appreciate the interculturality they bring to the program.
Yes. All applicants, who did not obtain their qualification for postgraduate studies (usually a bachelor’s degree) in a country within the EU/EEA, have to apply via uni-assist in addition to their application in TUMonline. Applicants with a qualification for postgraduate studies obtained in Switzerland do not need a preliminary documentation.
No. The program and the application process are completely held in English. German language proficiency is therefore not a requirement.
The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation requires a minimum of three years of relevant (full-time) work experience as well as entrepreneurial drive. In order to apply for the program you need a Bachelor`s degree or higher as well as English language proficiency since the program is held in English.
No. You do not need an English language certificate like IELTS or TOEFL as your English language proficiency will be evaluated during the application process based on the documents you have to hand in and the personal admission interview.
No. We do not require a GMAT. We favor an individual evaluation of your suitability for the program based on your qualification, professional experience as well as your entrepreneurial drive and interest in innovation and business creation.
No. Internships do not account for the required work experience. The three years of work experience primarily address the practical experience after your first university degree ensuring an exchange of thoughts and knowledge with classmates and lecturers on eye level.
Once you have submitted your application documents, you will receive a confirmation of receipt and your documents will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The Committee will then decide to invite you for a personal interview to determine your suitability for the program.